Sunday, June 24, 2012

George Nick - Days 2 - 5







Repeated the three hour painting drill each day.  Most, if not all of the students were more adept and experienced than me, so I really struggled to turn out something halfway presentable each day.  But the main payoff was to listen to George in the daily critiques. He's a completely fascinating, original thinker. He was amazingly passionate about the good and the bad in each student's work.  He was watching us like a hawk!  I probably latched onto only a very small part of what he taught.  Mostly, I just tried to absorb his self-reliant, questioning spirit.  Really, his  message was that we have to listen to ourselves and be our own teachers. That and I learned I have to be more fearless in throwing around large masses of color. And I have to check my drawing, which usually isn't so hot. All in all, it was a pretty profound encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment