Friday, August 26, 2016

too slick


I used three coats of gesso and the surface was too slick. Pretty much everything had to be painted twice to get a color established and I had trouble getting darks in. I also struggled with the drawing after I started painting. I moved one eye, which cost a lot of time, and should have also moved the other (and nose angle, mouth and jawline). I really need to remember to 1) start with some geometry latitudes and meridians 2) pause after I think I've got an acceptable block-in and critically make sure of placements. I'll start bringing a little mirror and look at the reversed image at this stage. I seem to be very good at adapting to distortion and then going blind to it... I've ordered some marble dust - I'll try mixing that into gesso to try for a toothier surface. 15" x 14" - 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment