Tuesday, October 11, 2016

glazing tints


Since this painting went pretty well, I'm journaling my process here. This time I broke the preliminary painting into two steps. First I used a big egbert brush and mopped in the layout in a thin orange mix of burnt sienna and yellow ochre. Then I spent about 20 minutes completing a darker brown line drawing and scumbling in shadows with a #2 round.  Next I took a stab at a first layer for the entire surface using thin painting mixtures of Galkyd and Turpentoid. I'm not sure whether this is a good idea or not, but I didn't use any white paint at this stage. Instead I just wiped the paint layer thin to get light from the gesso, like painting in watercolor. My rule of thumb is to paint with Galkyd until it gets sticky and annoying. Then I switched to a linseed, stand oil, Gamsol mixture and floated glazes over the gunk. I mixed in white sparingly in the glaze and the skin seemed to stay luminous. I think this is probably a backwards approach to tinting, but it seemed to work. 16" x 14" - 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment